Buckley Avenue Affordable Rental Housing / Foundry Sea to Sky Project
Buckley Avenue Affordable Rental Housing Project
38684 Buckley Avenue (next to the existing skateboard park, just north and west of Howe Sound Secondary School)
The Buckley Avenue Affordable Rental Housing Project is a partnership between BC Housing, the District of Squamish, and Sea to Sky Community Services to deliver 76 new affordable housing units. The development of a new five-storey is geared toward low to moderate income families and individuals and includes 76 units: 12 studios, 48 one-bedroom units, and 16 two-bedroom units. Architectural, mechanical, electrical, structural, environmental and geotechnical detailed design and planning work was completed in 2020 and construction is now well underway.
Sea to Sky Community Services Society (SSCS) is the owner/operator of the building and is working with its team of professionals to move tenants into the building in Spring/Summer 2022. SSCS plans to start a waiting list in early 2022.
The building continues to include space on the ground floor for a Sea to Sky Foundry Centre, offering recreational, cultural and clinical support services to youth. A public park and playground is also being developed by the District of Squamish separate from and adjacent to the housing development. The skateboard park will remain on site in its current location.
|Deep Subsidy||Rent Geared to Income||CMHC Market Units|
|Unit Type||$/unit||Number||$/unit||Number||$/unit||Number||Total Number
|1 bedroom||$375||10||30% Income||24||$1,500||14||48|
|2 bedroom||$570||4||30% Income||8||$2,150||2||16|
Deep Subsidy Income Limits (Community Housing Fund projects):
a. For residential units with less than two (2) bedrooms, a gross household income that does not exceed the maximum Old Age Security (OAS) plus Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) amount, as determined by BC Housing from time to time. For 2020, this figure is $18,825 (compared to $18,644 last year).
b. For residential units with two (2) or more bedrooms, a gross household income that does not exceed the maximum income threshold based on the income that would be required to pay 30% of income equal to the maximum shelter rate for a 3 person household, as determined by BC Housing from time to time. For 2020, this figure is $26,400 (no change from last year).
Rent Geared to Income units are subsidized by BC Housing in which the tenant(s) pay 30% of household income toward rent.
All tenants must meet the maximum allowable income as determined annually by BC Housing:
Low to Moderate Income Limits:
a. For residential units with less than two (2) bedrooms, a gross household income that does not exceed the median income for couples without children in B.C., as determined by BC Housing from time to time. For 2021, this figure is $75,730 (compared to $74,150 last year).
b. For residential units with two (2) or more bedrooms, a gross household income that does not exceed the median income for families with children in B.C., as determined by BC Housing from time to time. For 2021, this figure is $117,080 (compared to $113,040 last year).
Housing units and on site amenities:
• 12 x Studio units: 351 square feet (sf) – 377 sf
• 48 x One‐bedroom units: 520 sf – 531 sf (four of which are accessible to those with disabilities)
• 16 x Two‐bedroom units: 719 sf – 726 sf
• Each apartment has its own deck/balcony as private outdoor space.
• An indoor area for bicycle parking and tenant recreational equipment storage.
• The riparian areas and the existing trees outside of the building and parking areas will be retained.
• A small public park with playground (to be developed by the District of Squamish)
• The existing skateboard park located on the site will remain.
• A Sea to Sky Foundry Youth Centre on the ground floor will offer a comprehensive range of recreational, cultural, clinical and wellness service program supports for youth in the community.
• A small management / administrative office.
• A “Heat Room” to allow for heat treatment of tenant furniture.
• A universal public washroom located on the ground floor and is directly accessible from the building exterior for the users of the skate park.