SSCS is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of persons served, employees, volunteers, donors and other stakeholders.
SSCS values the trust of those the society deals with, and of the public, and recognizes that maintaining this trust requires transparency and accountability in the treatment of shared information.
During the provision of various programs and activities, SSCS staff frequently gather and use personal information. Anyone from whom such information is collected should expect that it will be carefully protected and that any use of or dealing with this information is subject to consent. SSCS’s privacy practices are designed to achieve this.
The Privacy Principles
The following principles reflect the SSCS pledge to safeguard personal information.
1. SSCS is accountable for personal information collected by the society:
- SSCS is responsible for all personal information in SSCS possession
- All employees of SSCS are required to protect the confidentiality of personal information
- SSCS takes every precaution to ensure confidentiality of personal information
2. SSCS collects, uses and discloses personal information only for certain purposes that are previously identified to persons served, such as:
- To help in the planning and delivery of service
- To help in fundraising efforts (donors only)
- To process and receipt donations
- To provide information about our society
- To respond to any information requests
- With consent only, to recognize a person publicly for a donation
- To establish, manage or terminate the employment relationship (employees, volunteers only)
SSCS obtains personal information lawfully and fairly. Personal information collected will be limited to the purposes identified by us.
3. SSCS will obtain your consent.
- SSCS collects, uses or discloses personal information with permission
- Permission may be expressed in writing or be implied, and may be given verbally or electronically
- Persons may withdraw permission to collect, use and disclose personal information at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions and reasonable notice
- SSCS will obtain consent before making information available to third parties
4. SSCS keeps personal information accurate and up to date.
- SSCS maintains appropriate procedures to ensure that personal information in SSCS possession is accurate and up to date. Persons are entitled to seek a correction or deletion of personal information if there is reason to believe that the information in SSCS possession is incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete
5. SSCS does not sell personal information.
6. SSCS limits how long information is kept.
- SSCS keeps personal information only as long as it is necessary to satisfy the purposes for which it was obtained, or as required by law
- When destroying personal information, SSCS uses safeguards to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to that information during the process
7. SSCS safeguards personal information.
- SSCS protects personal information by safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of that information
- Access to personal information is restricted to SSCS employees. SSCS employees are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with information
- SSCS maintains appropriate technical and organizational safeguards to protect personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification
- SSCS has developed security procedures to safeguard and protect personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized disclosure, copying, and unauthorized use or modification. SSCS maintains appropriate safeguards and security procedures that reflect the types of documents, including electronic or paper records, organizational measures including security clearances and limiting access on a “need-to-know” basis, and technological measures such as the use of passwords and encryption
8. SSCS is open about the society’s privacy practices.
- SSCS makes readily available specific information about policies and practices relating to the management of personal information
9. SSCS allows persons access to their personal information.
- Persons may ask whether SSCS holds any of their personal information, ensure that it’s accurate, and to see that information, as provided by law
- Persons also have the right to know:
- How SSCS collected the personal information
- How SSCS is using it
10. Persons may register a complaint.
- Persons may register a privacy-related complaint by contacting SSCS’s Privacy Officer
- SSCS explains the complaint procedure and informs persons about other complaint procedures available
- SSCS investigates all complaints
- If an objection is justified, SSCS takes all appropriate steps to repair the situation, including changing Society policies and practices if necessary. Personal information relating to volunteers, job applicants and employees are subject to similar protocols